|CONSULTATION FOR A PEST MANAGEMENT PLAN|
Pest Management Plan Number RDCK-PMP-2021/2026
The RDCK is renewing a Pest Management Plan and will submit the plan for approval under the Integrated Pest Management Act. This Plan will describe a Mosquito Control Program using Integrated Pest Management, including the use of insecticides.
Purpose: Mosquito Control for the purpose of nuisance control.
Application Method: Treatment of mosquito larva development sites by hand and aerial application.
Location: The areas to be included in this Pest Management Plan application are limited to public and private lands within the following existing program areas:
– The floodplain area below the Duncan Dam, between the south end of Duncan Lake and the north end of Kootenay Lake. Within this floodplain are the following communities: Duncan Dam, Meadow Creek, and Cooper Creek.
– Within the boundary of the RDCK bylaw 1642 for the Pineridge subdivision area.
Pesticide: Yearly totals up to, but not exceeding:
– 1,000 ha with Aquabac (PCP No. 26863) (Bacillus thuringiensis var israeliensis)
– 1,000 ha with Aquabac XT (PCP No. 26860) (Bacillus thuringiensis var israeliensis)
– 1,000 ha. with Vectobac 200 G (PCP No. 19466) (Bacillus thuringiensis var israeliensis)
A selection of insecticides has been chosen to increase the ability to target mosquito populations in the most environmentally responsible method possible. All products listed are registered in Canada for the intended use. Bacillus thuringiensis var israeliensis has been chosen to control larval mosquitoes in their development sites. These pesticides are target specific, non-residual, and non-toxic.
The RDCK will not treat the total area of all the products listed above but will choose the best method to treat with the least environmental impact. All products are registered for mosquito control in Canada.
This project will begin April, 30 2021 and be completed by April, 30 2026.
Regional District of Central Kootenay Attention: Todd Johnston
Mosquito Control Program Phone: (250) 352-1523
202 Lakeside Drive, Nelson, BC V1L 6B9
A person wishing to contribute information about a proposed treatment site, relevant to the development of the pest management plan, may send copies of the information to the applicant at the address above within 30 days of the publication of this notice.
Any member of the public wishing to view the application or associated material can do so online or by requesting a digital copy at the contact number above (arrangements can be made if digital access is not possible). If clarification is required regarding this application, please contact the applicant.